(photo taken from http://www.ilocalnews.com/louisville/bonnycastle/info)
A Brief History of Our Neighborhood
The name for our association is taken from the old Bonnycastle Homestead, which originally encompassed much of the land on which the neighborhood is built. The old Bonnycastle Homestead mansion still stands on Cowling behind the Christian Church. The land was bought by Isaac Everett in 1848 from Myrah and Angereau Gray, and was described as being "near the City of Louisville and on the Turnpike Road leading to Bardstown and on the Sinking Fork of the Beargrass Creek." A 14-½ acre, "bell-shaped" parcel of land comprised this homestead near Cowling Avenue. Spring Drive forms the curving portion of this bell. Isaac Everett died in April 1899 and willed his property to his son-in-law John C. Bonnycastle, in trust for his daughter, Harriet B. Everett Bonnycastle. John died in 1925 and left Harriet the bulk of the property making up our neighborhood. The dedication of Bonnycastle Addition was dated July 3, 1900, and was signed by Harriet E. Bonnycastle.